12:00 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012
Neighborhood | Community
WHAT IS PARENT UNIVERSITY?
Parent University is a part of New Haven’s School Change Initiative. It is a Parent Support Network for all New Haven Public School Parents. We are striving to make New Haven the best urban school district in America by: raising test scores to at least the state average, reducing the achievement gap; strengthening high school graduation and reducing the high school dropout rate; and assuring every student is academically and financially able to attend college.
According to the National Parent Teacher Association, decades of research show that when parents are involved, students have higher grades, test scores, and graduation rates. Results also show better school attendance, increased motivation, better self-esteem, lower rates of suspension, decreased use of drugs and alcohol and fewer instances of violent behavior.
Parents want their children to succeed, and so do we. NHPS will continue to establish major programs like Parent University to expand parental involvement and family engagement as part of the New Haven’s School Change Initiative.
WHAT IS THE PLAN FOR PARENT UNIVERSITY NEW HAVEN?
November 3rd, 2012 is the launch date for New Haven Public Schools Parent University for citywide workshops at one location, which will be absolutely free to our parents and guardians. There are other components, including workshops and classes throughout the year at schools and in neighborhoods, in collaboration with community organizations, institutions, adult education, non-profit agencies, and others. We expect to be comprehensive and collaborative at all levels.
Parent University will be a fun, innovative, learning experience specifically designed to help NHPS parents increase their understanding of: how their children learn and develop; what their children should be learning; helping their children get what they need to succeed; and bringing other parents together to work for school/district improvement. Workshops will cover these areas and others, as Parent University develops and grows.
In planning for the fall launch of Parent University, we have created four working groups: Community Engagement / Equity & Communications; Curriculum and Workshops; Logistics (volunteers, transportation, location, food, childcare, registration and parking); and Opportunities for Parents and Graduation Day.
BENEFITS OF PARENT UNIVERSITY NEW HAVEN?
• This is a *FREE* program available to all parents and guardians. *FREE* lunch and childcare will be provided
• Classes will be available to help foster communication between parents and teachers
• Local leaders, staff, parents and alumni of the New Haven Board of Education will design each workshop. Therefore, ensuring New Haven’s Parent University’s curriculum is centered on the needs of our scholars and their parents
• Workshops are developed to equip parents with knowledge of self, child, family dynamics, health and wellness, and the educational system
THE GOALS OF PARENT UNIVERSITY NEW HAVEN?
• Improve collaboration between schools and families
• Support parents in navigating the educational process
• Provide parents with evidence –based knowledge, skills and resources to support their children’s education and increase student achievement
• Give our parents additional tools needed to help their children succeed
We need your support. Are you interested in participating? Would you like to volunteer?
Do you have more questions?
Susan Weisselberg, email@example.com – 203-497-7050
Veronica Douglas-Givan, firstname.lastname@example.org – 203-497-7051
Or, call our automated information line at 203-497-7055 and check our website at www.nhps.net for updates.